Built on Abercorn Street in 1734, Reynolds Square was named after John Reynolds, the first colonial governor of Georgia. Reynolds Square was the center of colonial government and originally held the House of Assembly, where the first reading of the Declaration of Independence took place in Georgia.
A Filature House, which processed silk cocoons, was later located in the center of the square. It was believed that silk worms could thrive and produce fine silk, however, the cocoons couldn’t mature properly due to Georgia’s humid climate. The industry failed and the Filature was then converted to a public meeting space. In 1791, President George Washington was guest of honor at a dinner in the Filature House. The building burned prior to 1850, and offices currently occupy the lot.
Located directly behind our hotels, Reynolds Square contains some of the most historical buildings in Savannah. On the western side of the square is the home built for James Habersham, Jr., the son of the acting Royal Governor, James Habersham. The Habersham House, now the Olde Pink House, was built in 1812 shortly after the American Revolution. Today, The Pink House is known for it’s fine dining and southern appeal.
Across the street is one of Savannah’s most architecturally important houses, the Oliver Sturgess House. Dating back to 1813, the Oliver Sturgis House was home to no other than Oliver Sturgis, one of the planners of the SS Savannah, the first steam powered vessel to cross the Atlantic.
Also found on Reynolds Square is the Lucas Theater. The theater was originally designed by C.K. Howell in 1921 and was later restored and reopened to the public in 2000. This historic theater is still on of the most romantic spots in the city, showing a wide variety of concerts, performance and films.
Located at the center of Reynolds Square is a statue of John Wesley. Dedicated in 1969, Wesley is depicted as a young man wearing his Church of England vestments. According to the sculptor, Marshall Daugherty, “the monument is as he looks up from his Bible toward his congregation, about to speak and stretching out his right hand in love, invitation and exhortation. In contrast the hand holding the Bible is intense and powerful-the point of contact with the Almighty”. John Wesley became known as the founder of Methodism.